Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with the home and is fundamental to enabling the dream of the smart, connected home.
The Alexa Smart Home Org is focused on making Alexa the user interface for the home. Customers love using Alexa to interact with their homes using simple commands (turn on the lights, turn down the heat) and to automate more complex interactions spanning home security, home entertainment, and the home environment. We are evolving Alexa into an intelligent, indispensable companion that helps you get the most out of the technology in your home.State Accuracy
team in Alexa Smart Home is responsible for measuring and improving accuracy of real world “State” of all Alexa connected Smart Devices. This provides a challenge with a wide variety of devices from simple plugs to thermostats to secured locks and cameras. Many Smart Home wide initiatives depend on the quality of State data and hence State Accuracy and the team is always critical for all the launches.
Few real life scenarios for which State Accuracy will be critical
- Alexa to be able to accurately and promptly answer a customer’s query if the main door is locked or if the light in the garage is not turned off
- To be able to know if a sensor in a lawn, equipped with smart sprinklers, triggered at right time to provide water based on dryness level
- Alexa to be able to intelligently guess users intentions and provide valuable information to customers on time, about State of their smart devices.
Additional information about this opportunity and this team:
- Work closely with Machine Learning team to improve efficiency of our state queries by better understanding customer needs.
- Measure the real world state of the smart devices, using various sensors.
- The changes we make directly impact the customer experience usage of smart devices.
- You will design and deliver solutions to business challenges that help shape the future technology around how customers interact with smart devices
- This is a highly visible role, operating with many technical leaders and product managers across Amazon Alexa – with stakeholders at all levels of the organization, including senior leadership.
- This is a great position for someone who likes backend development, Amazon Web Services, and Service-Oriented Architecture.
The ideal candidate is clearly passionate about Alexa and has a demonstrable track record of success in delivering new features and products. A commitment to team work, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements. Creating reliable, scalable, and high performance products requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. This person has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast.
The Software Development Engineer will:
- Influence the team's technical architecture
- Identify and tackle difficult or complex architecture and business problems.
- Work in an Agile environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules
- Design highly scalable, robust, and extensible architecture
- Provide technical direction and mentorship within your team
- Drive continual improvements to the efficiency and flexibility of the business platform while keeping an extremely high bar for customer trust, performance, and availability.