Startup Business Development Team
This is a privileged role within AWS where you will work directly with founders of many Canadian startups as they aspire to drive innovation and increase Canada’s technology leadership across the globe. You will spend your days interfacing with venture capital firms, startup accelerators as well as startup programs at universities and government institutions. You will work hand in glove with these startup portfolio companies, navigating across AWS and Amazon teams to enable the next generation of great startups to realize outsize success.
We’re seeking team members deeply connected in the startup ecosystem – typically those who have founded a venture backed startup, gone through an accelerator or invested in startups and who want to help grow and develop the next generation of great entrepreneurs. While you might never have thought of working at AWS –this is a unique role and rare opportunity to work for one of the fastest growing startups of all time (AWS!) while being squarely plugged into the very center of the startup ecosystem.
If this role sounds interesting, read on:
Ideally candidates have a background as a startup founder or investor, where they’ve built a business, likely raised capital and seen the entire arc of business building from two friends and a PowerPoint to product in market, real customers and a growing team. Top candidates also will have worked at a larger company and/or professional services firm (consulting or investment banking) where they have demonstrated the ability to think strategically and analytically about business, product, and technical challenges, conveying compelling value propositions and working cross-organizationally to build consensus.
Candidates will possess both a business background that enables them to drive an engagement and interact with managers of venture capital and accelerator firms, as well as technical exposure that enables them to easily interact with startup founders, software developers and architects.
A keen sense of ownership, drive and scrappiness is a must, as is the ability to leverage and motivate AWS’s global organization to achieve results.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Serve as a key member of the Startup Business Development team in helping to drive overall AWS market and technical strategy in the startup ecosystem
- Drive engagement with top venture capital firms, startup accelerators, universities and government organizations
- Work closely with early stage startups to ensure they are successful using the AWS platform and services, making sure they have the technical resources required. Through your experience you will also be able to share best practices and provide guidance on how to grow their business.
- Engage with the startups where they gather; at their hubs, within their communities, and at their events and associations.
- Execute the on the AWS strategic business development playbook while working with key internal stakeholders (e.g. sales teams, partners, marketing, support, etc.)
- Prepare reports and give business reviews to the senior management team regarding the effectiveness of these efforts and roadblocks to establishing new partnerships
- Serve as the primary eyes and ears to the Canadian startup community on behalf of AWS and Amazon.
- Handle a high volume of engagements and the fast pace of the cloud computing market
- Some travel required