The Household Organization team is focused on making Alexa the best assistant to simplify life - helping families stay organized and connected to each other and making life run a little more smoothly. From setting timers while cooking to checking daily schedules and waking up to Alexa’s alarm tone, we help customers manage their time more easily using only their voice. We also help customers get things done and keep their lives in order with services like shopping and to-do lists that are becoming daily habits for people.
This role reports to the single-threaded leader of the Household Organization group and will manage spoken language understanding science and engineering team focused on enabling customers to use voice to interact with the Alexa at their home. Our mission is to push the envelope in Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR), Natural Language Understanding (NLU) in order to provide the best-possible experience for our customers.
As a Machine Learning Manager for the Alexa Household Organization team you will be responsible for leading a team of machine learning scientists, data scientists, and software engineers in the field of automatic speech recognition (ASR) and/or natural language understanding (NLU).
The responsibilities include the strategic aspects of setting long term directions as well as the tactical aspects of addressing customer pain points, setting priorities, and driving the design, development, and deployment of ASR and/or NLU technology. A successful candidate will have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You will hire and develop your team, build customer-facing experiences, and manage your own projects.
As a member of the technical team you will be responsible for...
- Owning the strategic planning and project management for long term language understanding projects creating value for our customers.
- Analyzing customer data and addressing customer pain points.
- Conducting and coordinating research leading to improved accuracy of Alexa's ASR and/or NLU capabilities.
- Communicating effectively with senior management as well as with colleagues from the Alexa Machine Learning team, software engineering teams, and other technical and business teams.
- Managing the day-to-day activities of the spoken language understanding team.
- Hiring and developing machine learning scientists and software engineers.
- Staying up-to-date with trends, papers, and academia.