Job Descriptions (SDE): *Please note that this is a general job description to use as guidance for this event. We interview for all levels at the event. eCommerce Platform
The eCommerce Platform group enables Amazon to transact, manage, and secure its businesses. Their services are used by Amazon’s websites and apps to enable our customers to identify themselves, find and select items, then order, pay, and checkout, have these orders be executed, and finally, reconcile the financial transactions. The eCommerce Platform also includes foundational services for centralized data platforms, tooling, and Consumer database operations, data storage, and compute capability. They are also the guardian of customer trust and information security.
In addition to the business services described above, eCP is also the internal operating platform for the company. Global Financial Systems (GFS) owns applications that support processes such as accounts payable (AP) and general ledger (GL), HR Systems (HRS) owns applications such as PeopleSoft and Evolution, and Global Information Technology (IT) owns IT support and enterprise services such as email and unified communications. Retail Systems
Retail Systems is the central nervous system that allows Amazon to be innovative and nimble. Our job is to automate & optimize retail processes, provide real time decision support for our business partners, build key enabling platforms, manage Amazon’s “back office” across vendor relationships, continuously refine te product catalog & pricing systems and algorithms, capture & operate the world’s largest product imagery database, and enable mTurk/supervised training for our automated systems and retail business teams via our new business service operation.
Retail Systems is a fast growing economic engine that supports funding new initiatives across Amazon, as well as directly handling tens of billions of dollars in transactions, and enabling our business teams to operate efficiently. Our systems are truly always-on and we operate Amazon-branded sites in countries around the world including numerous subsidiaries and stand-alone sites such as Zappos, Quidsi, BuyVP and MyHabit. You should be passionate about providing an exceptional customer experience and writing high quality, well tested, maintainable code using Java, MySQL, Ruby, Rails, and other open source technologies. We use Scrum, Kanban, test-driven development, and pair programming to meet business objectives, building our software incrementally, ship code continuously, and refactoring systems as needed. We strive to maintain a reasonable work-life balance on our team by setting the expectation that most work will be completed during core hours. If our business and culture sound like they might be a fit, we’d love to hear from you. Basic Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field
• 12-20+ years of industry experience writing production code of increasing complexity
• Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals, including algorithms, complexity analysis, data structures, problem solving, and object-oriented analysis and design
• Proficiency in at least one of the following: Java, C, C++, C#, Ruby, Python
• Experience refactoring code and evolving architectures
• Experience crafting unit, integration, functional and regression tests Preferred Qualifications:
• Master’s degree in computer science or a related field
• Experience developing in a Linux environment
• Experience applying service-oriented architecture techniques to production use cases