Amazon FreeTime (https://www.amazon.com/freetime
) gives peace of mind for parents with parental controls and a world of fun for kids where they can choose from thousands of popular books, games, applications, movies, and TV shows. Our teams work on the full stack including back-end services to support our subscription, client side app development, and web development.
We are looking for a Sr. Development Manager with a product sense and a passion for making the child experience first class. We have a unique opportunity to change the dynamic between kids and their parents, between grandparents and their grandchildren. While we have a large and rapidly growing subscriber base, Amazon FreeTime is still a new product for Amazon, and we're looking for experienced technical leaders to both enable future scaling and growth, as well as to bridge the gap between product vision and technical capabilities.
In this role, you will take the lead in designing and building the systems which power Amazon FreeTime. You will leverage your people management skills, deep technical expertise, and excellent leadership skills to take high level/ambiguous ideas and turn them into tangible products for parents and kids. You will work with other FreeTime development managers, software engineers, and product managers to create high quality extensible software which will deliver a delightful product to our customers. You will influence the product roadmaps of our teams and others within Amazon to unify our products and to provide value to our customers. You will focus on the hardest and most risky problems around privacy, cross-platform support, and new products along with keeping a close eye on the needs of our customers. You will think globally when designing and building the software, ensuring the software is evolving in the right long term direction while bringing value to customers iteratively.
The right candidate will possess a strong development management background, will have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects, and will have a well-rounded technical background in current web technologies. The right candidate will have experience in people management and a passion for career development. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done.
As a Sr. Development Manager, you will be expected to:
- Serve as a leader on our most demanding, cross-functional, cross-platform projects.
- Manage other development managers who will coordinate portions of your area of ownership. Coach and mentor those managers into personal and career growth.
- Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
- Drive and coordinate with external groups on their dependent work
- Drive project delivery process improvement initiatives across FreeTime
- Own the 3 year plan and OP1/OP2 tech contributions
- Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.