The Kindle team is seeking an innovative, results-oriented Manager of Software Development in our Publisher Self-Service team. In this position you will provide both strategic and tactical oversight to build features and functionality required to have a best in class offering for publishers of all size – from the largest global companies to self-publishing authors – to manage their business with Amazon Kindle.
The Publisher Self-Service team is offering an exceptional opportunity to be a part of a collaborative team working on development of a platform, that will serve multiple Amazon businesses and digital content types, as well as publisher-facing features/solutions that enable their business with Amazon, worldwide. Our systems need to meet remarkably high standards of quality, performance and reliability, operating around the clock on a large and growing scale. You will work to design, plan, and implement these services and solutions with the team you lead and colleagues across other Amazon teams. If you are a talented, enthusiastic Software Development Manager who is passionate about delivering the best customer experience, then you should apply.
A successful candidate for this role will have an established background in developing excellent customer-facing experiences, a thorough and sharp technical talent, strong project management skills, great communication skills, a proven ability to grow and develop a team, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment with relentless focus on the needs of our customers and business. The ideal candidate is passionate about simple and elegant software solutions, customer-centric products, and agile development processes. A good sense of humor is required; interest in the books industry is a plus.
- Help define strategy and roadmap for platform services and Web-based features that serve publishers of all sizes around the world.
- Document and present strategies, designs and plans to senior management
- Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Management of departmental resources, hiring, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class product development team
- Work closely with the engineers and product managers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Champion quality and plan and deliver appropriate software testing
- Deliver and operate excellent software that achieves the needed results
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 4+ years of industry experience.
- Experience in OOP, Java or C++, Perl, and Web development, highly scalable systems, device development and performance testing.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of software development, and a similar amount in software management, including people management.
- You are extremely technical and have significant experience developing scalable web applications, with a penchant for building elegant and maintainable systems that get the job done with minimal complexity.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills and enjoy working in a highly iterative, agile, and open team environment.
- You build the right product for your customers and pride yourself on delivering products on-time against deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Deep hands-on technical expertise.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- A deep understanding of cross-functional multiple-team based software development.
- A strong business and technical vision and the ability to translate these in business and technical approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions